Saturday, March 20, 2010

Its like Christmas in March!

I had trouble falling asleep last night. I was a giddy as a child on Santa's "good list" on Christmas Eve. All night long visions of fiddlehead ferns, peashoots and stinging nettles danced in my head. I awoke at four a.m. with the thought of a grilled cheese made with Rogue Creamery's Rosemary Cheddar.

As soon as was reasonable, I was out of bed, my market bags in hand. After a quick stop at Coffeehouse Northwest for a cup of Stumptown Coffee, I was off to the South Park Blocks to grab me some local grub at the opening day of the 2010 Portland Farmers Market.

Even the first day of Spring was eager to share in the festivities and showed up with sunshine and cherry blossoms at 10:26 a.m. I was there a bit earlier at the opening bell as vendors and market goers alike cheered in the new season.



This year's Portland Farmer's Market has doubled in size, allowing better movement of the crowds among the approximately 100 vendors once the market is in full swing. For a view of the new set up, visit Portland Farmers Market's interactive map.

The weather was amazing and it was such a pleasure to once again wander around the market planning my purchases and dreaming of the dinners that would come out of them. Its been a very mild winter here and everything has blossomed early so there were plenty of blooms scattered among the veggies, fruit, herbs, meat,honey, fish, dairy, wine, nuts, and juice brightening up the already sunny morning.


Colorful Ranunculus


I bought a bunch of White Lion Double Head Daffodils from Laurel Valley Farm and they have already frangranced my entire living room.



Assorted mushrooms from Springwater Farm

Fiddlehead ferns.


Miner's lettuce

Stinging nettles




It was really difficult to pass up these cinnamon rolls for my future breakfast date with the husband who was still sleeping at home.

Herb starters

I will, of course, have to miss the market next week as I'll be running the big 32.4.32 birthday run, but am so happy I will once again be able to make it a part of my week.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your market kicks my market in the buttox. Wish we could roam the market together!!

    ReplyDelete