Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sarah-thon 2010


What a day! After months of mud, a gazillion packets of Gu and many, many tumbles through the wash for my poor Adidas, the big day finally arrived. Yesterday at approximately 8:15 am, I started out on the Wildwood Trail in Portland's Forest Park to do 32 miles in celebration of my 32nd birthday.



The trail started out nice and clear, I was feeling good, with RadioLab followed by a couple This American Lifes flowing through my earbuds.


Soon, however, I ran into the result of the rains earlier in the week. Nice mud puddles slopped their way across the path every so often, sucking to the bottom of my shoes and adding a little extra zing to the trek.


Ah, the blue diamond that marks the Wildwood Trail. This little guys appear every quarter mile with the mile marker posted above. I made a great effort to avoid looking at the mileage as I passed, but I couldn't stop myself from searching the moss covered tree trunks for the marks.




At the halfway mark, a break for some PB&J.

Eventually, the sun came out and warmed up the 40 degree morning to about 60 degrees.
7 hours and 10 minutes later, I crossed the finish line, set up by my good friend M. G, L, K, G, M, J all greeted me with cheers, champagne poured over my head and I even got a medal!

Here I am with my first place medal!!


Ok. So, I admit that this posting is pretty boring. I promise there is more, hopefully more entertaining bits ahead. However, after the run, I went out to dinner, then to a birthday party and finally to a late night diner for milkshakes with J. I ended up falling asleep around 2 am but then woke up at 9 am unable to go back to sleep, so I'm pretty tired and incoherent now. But, it was a great day...i promise more later! good night...

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Saree! You are my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! How are you able to do that?? And you looked so nice in the last pic. I would've been on a hospital gurney. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete