Monday, March 29, 2010

The Day After the Day After

Now that the post run mental fog has cleared a big, I'd like to continue the wrap up of the big run with a few words of thanks. While I might have been physically alone on the trail, I knew there was a whole support system keeping me going the entire way, so I'd like to give a shout out to the following:

My legs. Not only did a gross realization a couple of years ago that my inner thigh felt kinda like a boob instead of the sleek muscle I hoped for prompt me to start running in the first place, these gams have carried me across many miles over the years and have held up pretty well to the abuse and mud. For that, I am very thankful.

OPB. The folks who bring me Radiolab, This American Life and Portland's own Live Wire. I can't tell you how many times I've thought that other hikers might consider me a mad woman, running through the trees laughing out loud at the jokes only I can hear on my iPod.

Forest Park Conservancy. Thank you, thank you thank you for being the keepers and caretakers of this wonderful resource. For all those reading, if you aren't familiar with the Conservancy, check them out and volunteer. Now that I won't be doing the training for a long run, I am looking forward to spending time on the trails helping to keep them beautiful for everyone else.

All my friends in high school who threw parties in the woods, in a field, or in a barn that necessitated getting used to peeing outside. Without you, I never could have made it through this run with its first and only formal bathroom stop at mile 25.

Everyone who bought a t-shirt. Thanks to you I was able to raise nearly $350 to split between OPB and FPC. Thank you so much for your incredible support of these two foundations...and of me!

All those who joined me for the pasta feed on Friday, met me at the finish line on Saturday or sent along texts cheering me on throughout the run. You guys are the best!

Ok, I can hear the music signifying its time to end my acceptance speech babble, so I'll bow out now, but seriously, thank you to everyone for helping me achieve this goal.

So, now...what's next, you might ask? How about the country's longest relay?

No comments:

Post a Comment