Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Farmers Market: Bring on Spring!

Winter was quick to leave the Pacific Northwest this year and though there are still chilly nights and some snowfall in the mountains, we have been enjoying more than this season's fair share of blue skies and jacketless afternoons.

But the one sign of warm days to come that has me a bit giddy is the appearance of asparagus at the Portland Farmers Market. I wasn't really expecting it, yet there is was in all of its tiny stalked and fresh green glory. I've waited nearly a year to make Barbara Kingsolver's Asparagus and Morel Bread Pudding, but finally I can again put that on the Great Ideas for Dinner list.


Ahhhsparagus!

Not only did was there asparagus, but Groundworks Organics even had strawberries! I couldn't resist buying a pint of the promise of summer.


Everytime I go to the Farmers Market I try to buy something I've never prepared before. This week, I chose to try out rhubarb.



Gathering Together Farm had a great big pile of it, so I grabbed a pound or so, stuck it into my bag with my other purchases and made my way home to make...wait for it...

Rhubarb and Ginger Jam

1 pound fresh rhubarb chopped
3 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh orange zest

Put everything into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently until the jam piles up on a spoon and looks all jam-like.


This jam is very good on buttered toast, a Nilla wafer or eaten straight off the spoon. I also used it, with incredible success, as the raspberry jam substitute in the Raspberry Shortbread Bars posted on Almost Slowfood, a fantastic blog written by my dear friend Peggy Bourjaily.



Even my husband J, who doesn't usually have much of a sweet tooth liked them and went back for seconds. Thank you so much Peggy, for always posting such people pleasing recipes!

Sigh...I love Spring.





1 comment:

  1. I got some fava beans from our farmers' market this AM and made an appetizer. It was warm enough to eat it outside w white wine. Summer is coming.

    ReplyDelete